ByteDance, the company behind popular video sharing app TikTok has announced its commitment to achieving carbon neutrality by 2030.
As part of this commitment, ByteDance aims to reduce its operational emissions by at least 90 percent, by 2030. The remaining 10 percent will be addressed through high quality carbon offsets, a goal aligned with leading international science-based standards. In a blog post, the company said:
“Our global data centers play a critical role in helping to provide a creative, user-centric experience across our products and platforms. We have begun transitioning to renewable energy across our data centers, and today we also commit to source 100 percent of renewable electricity for our global operations by 2030.”
This plan is well underway, as TikTok recently announced a new data center in Norway that will run on 100 percent local renewable energy.
“At ByteDance, we are motivated by the people who use our products and platforms; and by those who create and maintain them. We thrive on our ability to generate fresh, new ideas, apps, and platforms for our users, and with this global user-centric presence, we are mindful of our impact both on and offline. A meaningful sustainability approach is good for business, our communities, and the world around us.”
Finally, ByteDance aims to decarbonize emissions across our value chain in line with scientific standards. We will share more information on our approach by the end of 2023, the company said.
In addition to the work ByteDance is doing offline, it recognizes that many of its products and platforms serve as channels for users to create content, including sustainability-related content, and share it with their communities.
In 2022, sustainability-related content and conversations gained billions of views across our platforms, including TikTok, Douyin, Toutiao, and Xigua. We are taking important steps to keep this information both factual and accurate across platforms.