A new data center is coming to Noida, India
Published 21 January 2021
India’s city of Noida will see the development of a greenfield data center campus in the near future.
Singaporean data center group, ST Telemedia Global Data Centers (STT GDC), is backing the project. The proposed data center campus will cost an estimated Rs 600 crore, and will have a critical IT capacity of 18 Megawatts (MW) in its first phase.
As for the second phase of the investment, Alok Kumar, Chief Secretary of IT and Industrial Development at STT GDC in India added that a land parcel of around three acres has been identified by the investor, which means that IT capacity would be increased to 36 MW in phase two. This will be an additional estimated investment of Rs 500 crore.
“In view of the web-based and digitally driven economy gaining prominence, the state government is preparing a new data center policy with the objective of creating state-of-the-art data and IT ecosystem to meet the requirements of industry, enterprises and citizens,” Mr. Kumar added.
STT GDC’s presence is good news for both Singapore and India
A subsidiary of Singapore’s state-owned investment management firm Temasek Holdings, STT GDC has been expanding its footprint in India for several years. In 2016, the company acquired a 74% stake in Indian telco Tata Communications to grow its data center business in both India and Singapore.
This new data center campus is in line with the Uttar Pradesh government’s program to promote digital economy growth, said Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Dinesh Sharma.
Upon completion, the data center will cost a total of Rs 1,100 crore and is expected to provide nearly 80 direct job opportunities and around 1,000 indirect employment opportunities.
These initiatives are part of STT GDC’s expansion plans. Recently, it entered into a strategic partnership with Hyosung Heavy Industries as it forayed into the South Korean market. This partnership is through a joint venture, where 60 percent of the data center partnership will be held by STT GDC and the remaining 40 percent will be held by Hyosung Heavy Industries.